Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Challenge

In a flush of enthusiasm for new starts, new days, new years, etc. I gave myself a challenge for 2008: this year I will cook a recipe from each of my cookbooks.

I did a quick cookbook inventory yesterday and I currently have at least 160 cookbooks on the shelf (I am sure I will find more hiding in the house). I am not counting pamphlets, clippings or magazines as a cookbook. I am counting books of essays or food writing that contain recipes.

A few guidelines:
  1. If I've made it before I can't make it for the challenge. To apply to the challenge quota, the recipe must be something I haven't cooked before.
  2. I am allowed to make small adjustments to a recipe if it appears to be poorly tested or has an obvious error in it. (No voluntary walking off of culinary cliffs.)
    • I also reserve the right to scale a recipe up or down as needed (no way do I need to make anything that serves 12 people).
  3. Any additional cookbooks acquired during the year will be added to the challenge quota.
  4. As a rule, I won't post recipes. I will post the page number of the edition I am using. If a book is out of print, or the recipe is really interesting, I might make an exception and post the full method.
Each cookbook and recipe will get a mention on this site as I complete it. I'll also post the cookbook listing as soon as I complete the catalog.

No comments: